Beating The Flash of Desire

You ever stayed away from the fattening food for days and then had that quick WANT, that - "Oooo gotta have it NOW!"

I had that today. I wanted a Coke. It came at me quickly. Like a stab in the heart out of nowhere. 



I didn't give in, and it went away.

The feeling really didn't last long. Somehow I was able to get my wits about me and remember that a soda bottle was the last thing I needed in my hand.

I wanted it, but I steered away. 

That makes four days. Eventually I'll stop counting. 

Had enough of that Coke-lust eating my lunch.

It's hard to think back and figure out how you get to the place where things go bad. But it is important. And it's crucial that you remember how bad you feel when you actually drink the sugar water (or whatever). 

Okay, of course I don't feel bad right when I drink it; I feel bad later. That sick feeling from too much sugar and salt and caffeine all at once like a bomb in the belly.

Also the mental part--I'm trying to lose weight. I want to see the numbers go down when I step on the scale. I want to feel that glee. Not disappointment. 

It's about being honest.

When I want that sweet sip, I can lie to myself. I can tell myself a story that I won't mind this time. But it isn't true.

And please hear me, I'm not saying it's evil to drink a soda. It's not morally wrong or anything like that. 

It just creates a sick physical feeling and works against my goal, my goal to feel better. To get the inflammation in the body down to a manageable level. 

For the past four days, I've desired a body without the inflammation in the joints more than I've wanted the corn-sweetened bubbly stuff. That's the picture I hold in my mind. 

How to get past the I-Want-It-Right-Now urge:

  1. Be clear about what you really want before the urge hits. Part of being clear about the goal ahead of time is to write it down.
  2. When the urge hammers you, remember your goal. Picture it. Even read it.
  3. Get a picture in your mind of how you want to feel and what the scale will read when you reach your goal. 
  4. Every day say to yourself, "I did this well today."
  5. Every day say to yourself, "I could have done this better."
We all deal with this. 

How do you beat it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hocus Focus

What the Mind Does to Lose Weight

How I've Lost Weight During the Great Shut Down of 2020