How I've Lost Weight During the Great Shut Down of 2020

On New Year's Day of 2020, I weighed 217.

March 31st, I weigh 197.

weight loss during great shut down of 2020

I didn't plan it, but here's how it happened.

1. I started doing intermittent fasting (I.F.). For me that means that I fast for about 18 hours every day and eat during a 6 hour time. Usually that means that my first meal of the day is at noon and I am done eating anything by 6 PM. I drink water, tea, or coffee during my fasting period.

2. I started walking. I like to walk for 30 minutes or more. Recently I have turned my walking into a basic HIIT workout by walking fast for 40 steps, then walking normally until I catch my breath. I do about 4 sets of those on my walk. Then, I just enjoy the rest of my walk. Eventually, I expect to build up to 7 sets or so. If I do too much, my joints hurt.

3. I quit eating grains and processed sugars. This was because my blood work showed that I was allergic to gluten. This has been the hardest change. After two weeks of eliminating the grains, I have more energy.

Of these three, the intermittent fasting is the most powerful. I never have seen weight drop like that. During this time, I started reading and watching videos about this. Lots of people suggest easing into fasting. I didn't know any better, so I just jumped in. But the experts suggest things like starting with a 12 hour fast and then week by week building up even to eating just one meal a day. I've never tried that.

There are some that say fasting isn't safe during the pandemic. I say, listen to your doctor. If he or she says it's okay, do it.

About walking: make sure you take care of your feet. Pay attention to your body when you get started. Don't overdo it. Get shoes that can handle what you are doing to your body.

On the grains: I think a lot of people are sensitive to grains now. Maybe that has to do with the way they are grown and sprayed. I'm not sure. Yes, giving up grains was hard at first, but every day it gets easier.

Do you have to gain weight during the pandemic? Probably not.

If you eat nutritious food and exercise moderately is your body going to be more ready to fight the virus? I think so. But you have to answer that one for yourself.

Art S. Lieberman's Kindle Books on Amazon

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hocus Focus

What the Mind Does to Lose Weight