Walking to Lose

Walk
We have all heard that walking helps us lose weight. Yes, there are other great ways, but walking can work for virtually anyone.

When my #weightlossjourney began about a year and a half ago, I had a coach helping me. And he told me something I didn't want to hear. He told me that I had to exercise.

I like to exercise, so that wasn't the problem, but I have an issue. I tend to injure myself when I workout--especially when I am lifting something. 

But then, I thought about this. I can walk. I can walk like crazy. I walk in the heat (well hydrated). I walk in the freezing cold. I can walk in the daytime. I can walk at night. 

Using a bouncer, I can even "walk" in my living room.

And that's what I did. And I lost 40 pounds. Love it.

I would be walking around the track at the college and it was so cold that my fingers cried. But about 20 minutes in, I didn't care. About 30 minutes in, every care in the world would just drop right down on the track.

And then I quit walking and went to more body weight exercise in a bid to build more strength. 

And I quit losing.

I just figured this out. 

I have previously done the 10,000 steps a day. And it was great. And it's fun. But my step-counter is nowhere to be found. 

But it doesn't matter because I don't really need it. 

One of the great things about being a teacher is that I walk on the job. 

*I know that some of you think that teachers sit behind a desk and bark out orders. I'm not talking about that. I don't call that teaching.

*Side note to teachers: set up your classroom to make it easy to walk around. It's good for the kids and for you.

So as a teacher I walk. From previous experience, I know that I can easily put 4000 to 6000 steps on the counter just by teaching. 

I can also easily add 30 to 45 minutes of walking in my neighborhood or at the track or down the creek path. 

And I know it will really help my nutrition efforts.

By the way, my strength training consists of whatever variety of push ups, squats, pull ups, and leg lifts I can dream up when I work out. And I love doing it. I have every intention of continuing this.

The Exercise Plan


This is my plan going into May. My goal is to hit this at least five days a week. And to keep up strength training at least 2 days a week.

If YOU need to exercise more (or some) or differently, I bet you can sit down for five minutes and figure out a plan that will work better than what you have been doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hocus Focus

What the Mind Does to Lose Weight

How I've Lost Weight During the Great Shut Down of 2020