At age 57, I've achieved my lowest weight since I was 18 years old


I stepped on my bathroom scale today and saw the lowest weight I've seen on a scale since I was a freshman in college. 

Because I've lost so much weight, people have been asking me about what I've done. Here's the short answer.

In January of this year, I weighed 218 pounds, so at the advice of my doctor (Jeremy Smith), I started intermittent fasting. I had no confidence that I would be able to stick with it. I was so worried that I would be miserable. 

I picked a weekend where I knew I could focus on the fasting. I went to work on Friday with an empty stomach and figured I could make it to lunch time.

I was right. The last hour was tough. But I knew I would get to eat so I was okay. Plus, I was very busy and that helped a lot.

My fast looked like this that weekend. I at lunch at 11:30 or so. I snacked when I felt hungry during the afternoon. I ate dinner between 5 and 6.

Monday was a day off for me, so I kept on doing the 17 - 18 hour fast. And I've been doing it ever since. 

Here are the things I'm doing.
  1. Intermittent Fasting. I switch between 22 hour fast days to 18 hour fast days on a regular basis. I just go with what I feel like my body wants to do. 
  2. I eat whole foods. I've upped the amount of fish I eat by a good bit. My freezer is stocked with salmon and my pantry is loaded with sardines.
  3. I have scoured added sugar from my diet. I take a second to read labels.
  4. I journal every day. 
  5. I weigh myself every day. By the way, research backs this practice. 
  6. I do a High Intensity Resistance Workout once a week.
  7. I quit eating grains. 
  8. I drink a green smoothie every day.
That's the quick answer. 

I expect to settle out in the 160s.  But I don't know where.

By the way, I just listened to the best book on intermittent fasting that I've read yet. It's called Fast, Feast, Repeat by Gin Stephens. Here's the Amazon link - amzn.to/3eU4hAo. (BTW, I get a few pennies from Amazon if you purchase from this link.)

Reading this book caused me to change from what the author calls a dirty fast to a clean fast. 

I just finished writing my own book on this experience. It's in the final stages of proofing. I hope to have it out by August. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hocus Focus

How I've Lost Weight During the Great Shut Down of 2020

What the Mind Does to Lose Weight