Do you have an evil twin in your mind too?

I do. I call it Finger Pointer. One day, I’ll come up with something more elegant but for now, Finger Pointer.

Mr. F.P. is having a grand old time right now because I’m closing in on a weight goal. My BMI is almost down to 25. My goal is for it to be underneath 25. And this week I’ve been at 25.1 and 25.2. 

At 175.something, for my BMI to drop to 25, I need to get down to 174.4. 

I’m so close, that I can hear it breathing. I feel like a hunter, stalking a cornered beast. It’s not going down easily, but IT IS GOING DOWN!

Now, I don’t know what your weight loss is like, but mine is like this, I get down to a new goal for 2 minutes and pop back up. Weight fluctuates. In fact, yesterday I got down to 175.4. Today it bounced up to 175.8. And even though my “smart” scale says that weight gain is not fat, there is part of me that is not happy. That is my FP friend who will find any reason to be negative.

My answer to FP is my IC. Inner coach. There is an important mental difference between the two inner voices. The FP interrupts whatever is going on to whisper accusations. My inner coach has to be invited in consciously by me. 

But my inner coach is more powerful. Sure it can get drowned out in chaotic situations. But typically he brings immediate relief. He speaks reasonable thoughts like... It’s okay. This is a temporary setback. You’ve done this 20 times in the last few weeks. And I calm down. 

This shows FP the door. 

There’s an interesting corollary. I don’t know about you, but I have an issue with pride. I can start getting full of myself. My inner coach gently pulls me away from that kind of thinking too. 

Handling the mental/spiritual part of weight loss is part of the process. This method works for me. 

Want to know how to start losing weight the lazy way? Get the new Kindle book "The Lazy Art of Weight Loss."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hocus Focus

How I've Lost Weight During the Great Shut Down of 2020

What the Mind Does to Lose Weight