🍿 I never thought I'd be able to walk past popcorn without drooling, but I do now...

 

Last night, a funny thing happened...

But first some background... 1) I don't eat corn due to inflammation issues. 2) Due to a winter storm, our power was out for 36 hours and counting.

It's cold even with a fire going. 

Last night, I was the first in the family to go to bed. I said goodnight to my three boys and wife. I opened up my iPad and got in some reading before going to sleep. 

Just as I was about to turn over, I realized that I had a question for my wife. I walked out and was met with four pair of guilty eyes. I knew they were up to something, but I didn't know what. I looked and saw the large bowl of popcorn unsuccessfully covered in the middle of the four huddled ones.

They felt bad. 

I was overjoyed. One is this... they waited until I went to bed because they cared about my feelings. That's love.

But also, I didn't have a craving for the popcorn. Popcorn has been the hardest thing for me to pass up this last year of intermittent fasting. The hardest. 

Months ago, my wife and boys realized that I would often break my fast when the popcorn came out. One day, I realized they weren't making it anymore. They knew it was hard for me.

Yesterday, they saw their opportunity and pounced! That is so beautiful!

I don't claim to understand why it took so long for my craving for popcorn to go away. But it is absolutely true that intermittent fasting and eating a high fat/low carb diet, manhandles most cravings after a few weeks. 

The muting of these cravings drives the success of intermittent fasting. If I really don't want cookies anymore, I don't binge. Now my system can burn fat.

By the way, I never have monitored whether I was fat adapted or not. I haven't used the swabs or blood tests. I have just paid attention to my body. 

Along with my cravings disappearing, my "appetite meter" showed up. I could be eating and all of a sudden couldn't take another bite. I have since learned that the hormone leptin signals fullness. Intermittent fasting tuned my leptin back up. When I'm full leptin tells me. 

You can see how this helps weight loss. If you stop eating when you're full, you'll lose weight. 

As I read and studied, I also learned that eating more fats helps cue the leptin response. Eating lots of carbs doesn't. 

I think that's why after a huge meal, you can still eat dessert. Desserts are filled with carbs. Your body says, sure I'm full, but I can eat that. When I eat more fats, my hormones keep me honest. 

If you are working a losing weight, I hope your after-holidays-return-to-weight-loss is working for you. 

bit.ly/lazyweight

weight loss


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hocus Focus

How I've Lost Weight During the Great Shut Down of 2020

What the Mind Does to Lose Weight